Going Indie: 10 Questions to Help You Decide if It's Right for You

Have you thought about going indie? Do you dream of creating your own games, being your own boss? Do you worry whether or not you're ready, or if it's right for you? While I was working the other day, I was listening to this talk that's available for free over at the GDC Vault (lots of really awesome talks are available there, if you haven't checked it out)! 


Not only is Don Daglow absolutely hilarious in this talk (and he should definitely become a voice actor if he isn't one already), he makes a lot of interesting points. Perhaps the most interesting questions he asked was one in the beginning: 

If you had all your finances settled, money wasn't a problem and you've already been travelling all around the world - what would you do with your time? 

It's a really interesting question because it challenges you to think about what you really want to do with your everyday life. For me, the answer is simple: I'd do exactly what I do today! Being an indie dev in a small team such as this has been a dream so far. I love to draw and to write, and as this job allows me to do both, it's the perfect mix. 

I also have to say - having people play the game and share their experiences is absolutely awesome. Seeing the community grow, people becoming friends because of the game, sharing strategies or helping eachother out... It's fantastic. :)

Of course, if my money was unlimited, as the question suggests, I'd probably move to a bigger apartment (or buy a house) and perhaps get another cat and a horse as well... ;)

What about you? What would you do with your everyday life?
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment