A Different Type of Collector

As I mentioned in the previous post, it's time for me to return to portrait making! Today I've been working on the doll/plushie collector girl living in Evergrind City, as seen here inside her home:


And here's her old portrait used within the game:


It was one of the last ones I did in the old style, where I'd gotten at least some experience with portrait making, but it still looks nothing like the newer portraits. So, it had to be remade!

Below is the progress on the new portrait, it's all really straight forward and pretty much the same strategy that I use whenever I make a new thing. Sketching around, settling for line art, cleaning it up, color blocking, adding shadows & light, refining edges... :)


...Aaand here's the result, in its in-game sprite version:


I tried to make her look a little bit younger this time, since I feel that would make sense given her interest in plushies and the like. Also, because I haven't been making portraits for a few months or so now, I was a bit worried that it'd be really hard and take a long while to finish this portrait, but thankfully it wasn't that bad! So, on to the next one :)
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

7 comments:

  1. Woah nice work, you are really talented!

    Looks waaay better now. The first image looked like it came from an old game or something

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I tried to make her look a little bit younger this time, since I feel that would make sense given her interest in plushies and the like."

    Implies old men can't be interested in plushies...




    Just kidding.
    Good luck on the next portrait, there's not that many remaining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking the same time as I was writing that, but hoped people wouldn't take it that way, haha :D

      Delete
  3. It's good but one thing that I enjoy about the previous style is that it's more unique to this game and less generic anime looking. I actually really liked the portraits when I first played this game because they weren't anime but rather something unique! But now they are large eyed anime characters? :|

    You still do a good job none the less

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      And yeah, regarding the style, we had a lot of discussions regarding whether we should change the style or not, but in the end we thought most people would prefer the more anime-like style, as a bunch of people kept requesting it!

      Delete
  4. This one is lovely. It makes the character more memorable. :-)

    ReplyDelete